Real estate (immovable) development and real estate management specializations are considered rapidly developing new fields of work or professions. The students of the Real Estate Development and Management Department Undergraduate Program are empowered with qualifications that enable them pursue careers in a quite new and dynamic field. The Department offers training and research in various subjects such as real estate and asset valuation; business and real estate asset valuation; real estate investments and financing; land development; real estate project development; project appraisal; project management and supervision; real estate economics; plant, resource and land management; cadastre, zoning planning, value-based zoning applications; land conservation, land use planning and consolidation; urban development, transformation, renewal and conservation practices; land acquisition, expropriation, re-settlement; real estate and construction accounting; taxation of real estate; real estate-zoning-construction-contract law; construction economics and management; project and cost analysis; analysis of construction damages and defects; disaster, risk and insurance and information systems. The main objective of the program is to enable students to examine real estate and assets with different perspectives such as owners, investors, financiers, operators, planners, state and users, and to acquire skills of strategy development.
Click here for the Bologna Information System page regarding the Real Estate Development and Management Program.
The priorities and topics of the department’s education and research can be listed as follows:
- Real estate and asset valuation (expertise),
- Business and intangible asset valuation,
- Valuation of historical and cultural assets,
- Real estate and asset valuation and accounting standards and applications,
- Real estate information systems and generation of value maps,
- Land development, zoning applications and value-based land arrangement,
- Urban development, transformation, renewal and protection policies and practices,
- Land production, housing economy and politics,
- Urban economics and urban management,
- Real estate project development and project appraisal,
- Real estate project management and auditing,
- Urban and rural infrastructural investments, project development and management,
- Real estate principles and investment analyses,
- Real estate investment and financing,
- Project financing methods and practices,
- Securitization and real estate based capital market instruments,
- Credit rating studies,
- Real estate, development (zoning), construction and contract law and implementation,
- Real estate management: facility, resource and land management,
- Management of commercial and special properties: management of collective structures, building complexes, cooperative complexes, offices-luxurious residences, retail, holiday village, health-education facilities, ports, industrial zones and administrative structures,
- International facility management standards and analysis of national regulations,
- Land economics, utilization systems, policies and economic development,
- Land ownership, ownership change and land acquisition methods and institutions,
- Land use planning and land consolidation practices,
- Land acquisition for investment projects, expropriation and resettlement policies and practices: analysis of international standards and national regulations,
- Environmental, economic and social impact assessments of investments,
- Management of public real estate and privatization practices,
- Local and regional development, basin systems design and management,
- Management of protected areas and conservation policies,
- Real estate marketing and marketing management,
- Real estate marketing, investment and sales consultancy,
- Foreign real estate investments and international real estate markets,
- Institutionalization of real estate and construction companies, investment trusts and funds,
- Taxation of real estate and investigation of economic and financial crimes,
- Real estate and construction accounting and applications,
- Construction materials, analysis of construction projects, comparison of existing structures and projects,
- Construction economics, cost studies, construction progress level analysis, construction cost management and construction errors and defects,
- Sustainable design and practices, certification of buildings and analysis of costs and values of certified buildings,
- Structure-location interaction and settleability analyzes,
- Risk management and real estate and construction insurances,
- Problem solving and mediation processes in the real estate and construction sector,
Ankara University has opened this undergraduate degree program to share its wealth of knowledge and know-how on real estate development with professionals and experts actively working in the real estate sector and to strengthen research and human resources capacity in real estate development, valuation, project management and supervision, real estate investments, financing and real estate management. The undergraduate program aims to train industry leaders and researchers who have received comprehensive and versatile education and have chosen the real estate sciences as their specialty.
In National Qualifications Framework for Higher Education in Turkey (NQF-HETR) Basic Field Reports, the Real Estate Development and Management Department is placed among the Management and Administration Sciences Basic Field, code 34. Therefore, graduates of the Ankara University Real Estate Development and Management Department will receive in-depth expertise in real estate development, valuation, real estate investment and financing, project development and management and real estate management, as well as undergraduate diplomas equivalent to those of graduates of Faculties of Economics and Administrative Sciences.
Those who are educated in the Real Estate Development and Management Department Undergraduate Program at Ankara University gain time in understanding the real estate sector and career planning in public and private sectors. The undergraduate program also allows students to gain a deeper understanding of the real estate and construction sectors, develop in-depth expertise, and acquire work experience through project works and summer internships. The link between theoretical knowledge and sector experience is the main priority of programs. Students work together with academic staff on case studies and projects from the real world to understand real estate principles, development, appraisal, project development, financing and management processes and solutions based on facts. At the end of the fourth semester, students will be able to work as scholarship students in the summer term with the opportunity to do internship and on-the-job training, integrate what they learn in the classroom with real world experience, and learn from sector professionals.
One of the new professions required by the real estate and construction sectors in the domestic economy and abroad, especially in the money and capital markets, is Real Estate Development Expertise while Real Estate Management Expertise is another required profession due to increasing commercial real estate investments, collective structures (building complexes), administration, production, education and health care structures. Urban transformation in today’s big cities; development, valuation and project management of urban transformation and conservation projects; development and management of commercial real estate projects; and the marketing of completed projects or the development of business models have resulted in the emergence of the two major occupational disciplines mentioned. Due to globalization and urban development, interest in real estate and related investments is increasing. There is a need to carry out a number of real estate, limited rights and project valuations each year for the purposes of zoning implementation in urban areas, determination of the value of independent sections in residential and office buildings, and identification of land consolidation, property tax and expropriation values in rural areas. When the demand for housing loans; financing of infrastructure projects and real estate projects; valuation of assets registered in the balance sheets of public enterprises, private entities and in particular financial institutions; secondary market operations (securitizations) to be carried out in exchange for pledged real estate; and finding solutions to a number of disputes reaching the judicial organs concerning the real estate and construction sectors are considered, it turns out that the profession has a wide range of working or employment fields.
Graduates of the undergraduate and graduate programs of our Department have a wide range of job opportunities in the public and private sectors. Graduates of the undergraduate and graduate programs of the Department will also have the opportunity to pursue careers or start their own businesses with titles such as Licensed Appraiser, Residential Appraiser, Asset Appraiser, and Credit Rating Specialist in the private sector. Besides starting valuation, real estate investment advisory and consultancy offices, the graduates are able to find jobs in many public and private organizations including local administrations, banks and other financial institutions; building, real estate and expropriation units of public institutions; public housing administration; valuation institutions; urban transformation, renewal and conservation companies, and real estate investment trusts. Besides Turkey, there is a great need in the development and regulation of real estate markets in many developing countries such as the Central and Eastern European countries, Middle Asia, Middle East, Asia and African countries; and actually development in these countries is mainly based on the regulation of the right to property, development of rural and urban real estate markets, ensuring money and capital market transactions and conducting development studies in accordance with the aim of sustainability. In addition to these, the duties and powers of our graduates relating to areas such as expropriation, expert witnessing, zoning/development, and taxation, and particularly the housing financing system (mortgage) are clearly defined in the Turkish legislation.
The department’s graduates acquire in-depth expertise knowledge in fundamental fields such as real estate development, valuation, real estate investments and financing, project development and management as well as real estate management, real estate economics, real estate/zoning/construction/contract law, taxation, information systems, land acquisition for investment projects, and asset and portfolio management. Within this structure and “interdisciplinary” thought and the undergraduate and graduate programs of developed in line with Ankara University’s experience and needs of the real world, Department will be able to maintain its status of being the first and only academic unit in its field in Turkey; not only through its name but also by its approach to the subject, courses and their contents, the instruction of the courses, practical works, busy summer periods and on-the-job training activities.
It is clear that the extraordinary and varied range of study areas will make it possible for departmental graduates to find work without difficulty even before they graduate. Students who are talented and team-oriented, who are interested in the subjects and work areas mentioned, will be able to make a significant difference in their careers compared to that they can accomplish at similar faculties.